January 20, 2007

Sappy Movies "R" Us

I am the biggest sucker for sappy old movies. And new ones too. I know, I know- nasty, snarky, whiney, sarcastic posts- but really, they hide the ... something... of a total sappy romantic. I just can't help it. And there's sappy novels too, tho they take a bit more time (usually).

But movies- wow.

And of course, because I'm supposed to be studying my pale rear off, I've been watching sappy movies. Which this weekend includes "the postman", "meet joe black", and one of my all time favorites- "the ghost and mrs. muir". Two of them- maybe all three- based off books, and meet joe black kinda (like movie of the book kinda) a remake of death takes a holiday.

But damn- they're all depressing. I mean, I realise life is all temporary and full of death, but... well, when two out of three heros are dead when the movie starts, there isn't really anywhere for the story to go- right?

Ok, back to the ghost and mrs. muir- I love this movie. I mean- she starts off all, I don't know- weak, I guess, the first place you see her looks like the first time she's ever asserted herself. But she goes on from there, and finds her dream house, and meets a man and falls in love- but it can't work- of course it can't. He's dead, after all, haunting her perfect house. Tho, ya know, If he weren't about 80 years older than me (and dead) I'd be all about rex harrison too. My oh My. But I mean, the way the totally in love, totally isolated ghost gives her up so she can have a chance at love with a living man- makes me cry every single time. The whole damned movie does. No idea why I watch it. Maybe I just like the story too much. I mean, it's a classic doomed relationship. He's dead, for bob's sake. And he gives her up! so she can be happy! It's like dream man- so perfect you dream about him, but totally safe because he doesn't actually exist. I'll take 2.

I don't know, tho. I mean... I know there's the whole "if you love something let it go" school of thought, but... and I realise that in the time it's set, and even when it was made men were more... decisive, I guess... but- He just left her. Decided what was best for her, after a fight, because he was jealous, and made her forget- stomped off like a kid. Oh, fine, he thought he was helping her find something, but... Why the hell couldn't he have asked her? I mean, if he'd stuck around, he'd have seen that she spent all that time alone.

I know- I'm far too involved with this movie. It's just so.. doomed. I mean- they don't even meet untill he's dead. And then he goes away, and she has another 30 or 40 years without him. lonely. blech. I'm getting all lame now.

Must be time for a blow stuff up movie. Or something.

so yeah, me like sappy movies. And csi.

j.

No comments:

Post a Comment