October 27, 2006

Woo hoo! a flat!

For those of you reading this in North America, it's gonna sound a little strange, and really nice.

I got my flat. Me and 4 other girls, it should be... interesting. Man friend promises to visit regularly to offset some of the estrogen (or oestrogen for you freaky wierd spellerers out there). Starting to sort out the furniture. We now have one (1) sofa for five (5) girls. I think we'll be adding to that over the summer/ year.

But for the part that will amaze people at home. Renting in NZ is weighted for the renter, rather than the landlord. My rent (since I know you're all enthralled) will be about $60 a week. oh, yeah, they charge by the week. My deposit- called bond here- is $120, and is registered with some govt. agency. Over summer, probably because this is a student town, and a student flat, rather than normal rent, I pay what is called a retainer, of 8 weeks half rent. Or $240. For the whole summer.

So, in order to move in and cover my rent untill the **middle of February** all I need is $360. Not first last and deposit. Not credit check. Not background check. No private investigation and 3 referances. Just $360. And I get a third of that back when I move out- assuming we don't burn the place down. And it's even in a safe neighborhood, on a quiet street, halfway-ish between school and town. Right on the main bus line. It has bike and car parking. It has a gas station around the corner, and three golf courses within a couple miles. And a park just down the road.

Except the m/f mix, it's freaking shangri-la. And I'll have it mostly to myself this summer, since most of the rest of them will be off doing other stuff. Just like everyone else in this town.

Watch this space next year for cat-fights and crazy girl drama! I hope not. I'd almost rather live with 4 guys and guy smell than 4 girls and girl drama. Ah well, at least it's got 2 bathrooms.

j.

No comments:

Post a Comment