February 12, 2007

a year ago today in NZ

I got here at some crazy hour of the morning. The walk from the plane to the customs and immigration people was really really long. I hoped they wouldn't call me on my rather sickly looking self- a week past malaria, I don't think anyone looks their best. but no, I just matched my passport. they let me in, and because I only had about an hour, rather than transfer my bags with the people at the international terminal, I dragged them over to domestic and checked them back in over there.

Quick point- this time last year, I was, I think, as skinny as I've been since I was about 20. I don't think I weighed more than about 120. My stuff? that I was carrying? at least 40 lbs. I looked funny with my half starved crazy skeleton trying to drag my bags through the airport.

So anyway, I got on the neato inter-terminal bus, since there was no way in any kind of hell I was carrying that crap all the way to the other terminal. Got to the domestic terminal, and wow... there is no security.

Ok, so there's security, but, like, no metal detectors, or guys with big angry guns, or taking off shoes, or pat-downs... they just, i think, look for people visibly carrying guns/ bombs/ whatever, and politely ask them not to. But you really don't care about the airport bits, I'm sure, but how about the view? for at least half the flight, you can see both coasts, if the weather is clear. which is really neat. And the airport in palmy is tiny. Bigger than the old Martha's Vineyard one- probably about the size of Laramie. Pretty small.

And then I went to campus. I was stupid, and didn't arrange to get picked up, so I wandered all over campus trying to figure out where i was supposed to go. With my 40 lbs of crap, still recovering system, and 2 full layers of clothes. Eventually got everything taken care of, got into my room at the student hostel/ dorm, and then i think I slept. Or maybe I went into town. i know eventually I did have to get food.

And here today I'm trying to get the rest of my loan stuff sorted out, study my chemistry, get the last of that stuff turned in (late) and make enchiladas that work with stuff I can get here.

And since I'm procrastinating, the recipe will probably follow sometime later today. wow, I need sleep. And beer. And a proxy to take my test for me. Wonder if that's allowed...

j.

No comments:

Post a Comment