March 19, 2010

Managing Acquisitiveness

I have a weakness for some things. I want to own them, hold them, know they are mine. Most of them are easy to avoid- I don't buy movies or video games if I don't go places they are sold. I admit I tracked down one ($8) game on Amazon. I can't afford to grow my sock collection, even though it's thinning out fast.

Some things make life feel empty without them, though. That's where I'm having trouble. Things like books, music, and social or cultural activities. So that's what I'm working on now.

Books-
I love books. New books, Used books, Old books. I love how they look, feel, smell. Heck, I even like how e-books don't take up any extra space in my bag on trips. But they're so expensive, and heavy, and a nightmare to move. Plus, I'm kinda furniture-lite ATM, so they're either expensive to store or a mess all over my floor.

I'm working on cutting back here. Well, cutting off actually. There is a perfectly good library system in the area- three of them in fact. I'm sure there will still be some expenses (late fees, inter-library loan, gas) but no where near what my book-a-day habit would run me. Plus, cookbooks are forking expensive and I don't usually make more than two or three recipes out of each.

Music-
Music is expensive, no doubt about it. CD's are spendy even if they aren't (sometimes difficult to find) Opera recordings. I also love watching "live show" recordings, and own a couple of a band I haven't seen in person yet.

And if buying someone *else's* music is expensive, learning to make your own is insane! I want to learn to play cello. Some of the most happy-making music I've ever heard is for cello. Well, and hot boys play it. But cellos are expensive to buy, and lessons are tough to find in some places and are private, so $30+ each.

I'm working on this one. Listening is easy to manage, though I don't get much choice. iTunes radio tuner offers just about anything I could want to listen to, including a station that plays opera *all day long*. I can watch videos and (sometimes) recordings of live performances over at youtube. Best though is that both of these keep rotating in new music I've never heard before. So while I wouldn't drop $80 on a recording I've never heard and might hate, there's a good chance someone will request it, I'll look it up, and I can add it to my life list of things to see live or (eventually) collect.

When cash flow opens up a bit (and I get enough stuff paid off that I don't feel like I'm wasting extra payments) I will probably try renting a cello, and getting lessons with that. The cost of the rent is usually lost (though some places will credit a percent of your rental fees toward purchase of an instrument from them), but buying a similar quality cello would be a long term savings goal, and I don't want to wait that long.

Social and Cultural Activities-
This is probably the toughest and easiest one at the same time. Going out with friends means some combination of gas, tickets, drinks, food, parking, and who knows what else. Concerts have expensive tickets, museums charge entry, movies- again the tickets. It's just expensive.

But there's a lot that's either cheap or free. I don't have to buy stuff when I go out with friends, or can just get a soda if we go someplace like a bar- as long as I tip the bartender everyone is happy. There's usually a free parking option for nighttime activities, so I can save on that, but during the day it's pretty much required- if I don't want to walk 3 miles.

The Charleston County Public Library system has free showings of the Met's operas. They also do movies, lectures, tax prep. It's a bit of a hike downtown, but wow, the resources. And Charleston has Spoleto. Paying for tickets would bankrupt normal people, but locals can sign up to usher. You have to work a bit, but you get to see shows with $50 or $100 tickets for free. Also, there's Piccolo Spoleto, a bunch of lower cost and free events, concerts, and shows. It's enough culture to kill a girl. And the local free paper has listings every week of cheap and free activities, low cost shows, art openings, and drink deals.

So I guess I just need to try harder. The most amazing things in life probably shouldn't be easy, not if you want them to be affordable too. Sometimes, though? I just want to be able to hold that book and know it's *MINE!*

No comments:

Post a Comment