March 26, 2010

Dog walking, still thinking.

I'll get to the dog walking thing in a minute. First... I need a basic bill paying job. I'm spending part of this afternoon helping Mom finish setting up her blog, and part of it applying for crappy server jobs. Well, maybe not crappy, but server jobs. Which I don't feel confident at, but which pay better than fast food.

On to dog walking.

As soon as I have a name I'll put up an ad on craigslist. I don't know that I expect to hear from anyone the first couple of days. I still need to have the paperwork ready in case I'm wrong. So I need a client or "dog walking" agreement. And a questionnaire, vet release, and... there was something else. I know what my price points are-
  • $10 for a 15 minute potty visit,
  • $15 for a 30 minute walk (plus water refill,and whatnot- about 40 minutes total)
  • $20 for a 45 minute walk, and
  • $25 for an hour walk
They don't sound too low, or too high. Town is kinda flung out, so I need to figure out how to deal with people who live way out there. Do I start out with a more limited service area and expand into middle of nowhere areas when I have x potential clients? Or do I add a surcharge for driving way to hell and back?

And incentives- what's a reasonable rate to offer them at? 1 free walk after a referral has completed and paid for 5 walks, or is that giving away too much? 10% off a week's service?

And discounts for hardcore users- weekly rates, or discounts, or one free walk every however many booked and paid for? Puppy packages, food delivery, pet taxi, dog walking for new parents...

Mom was like "wow, that's a great idea", but now that I'm digging into the realistic side of things, holy carp there's a lot to do!

I guess I can treat Charleston as a training ground, then when (if?) I move to savannah, I'll have the know how to pull it off. Have I mentioned how well dog walking fits with running a hostel? Now I just have to see if I can do it.

In other news, I still have no job, no money, bills due, and rent to pay. Oh, and a huge house-sized hole my debt goes in. Pleh.

well, here's to jumping.

No comments:

Post a Comment