March 24, 2010

Job hunting and possible options

I still don't have a job. I'm still looking and not hearing back. I'm sure there's something out there, but most of what I'm seeing either needs experience I don't have, a degree I don't have (for $8/hr??!!), or is part time and requires full availability. Which is not happening.

So I'm thinking about shifting my focus. One of my roommates does paper delivery, and while it's not huge or great money, it's not bad, doesn't take too long, and is usually available. If I can get a paper route (yes, increased gas/ car expense), I can also look at an evening job. Papers in the morning, hostess in the evening, it would leave my whole day open- either for an eventual "real, day job" or for something I do myself. The two part time crap jobs would cover gas, rent, and most of my minimums until student loan repayment shows up.

Which leaves me with my current possible idea. I don't know how it would work out, though.

I'm thinking about starting a dog walking business. There are a lot of dogs in the Charleston area. And lots of people who work a lot. And, I guess, if I want to be really honest, a couple (bunch?) of people who already do dog walking or running.

Startup costs are pretty reasonable-
  • Advertise on craigslist until have a couple clients (free)
  • poo bags/ water bottles/ snax/ backpack to carry them all in (already have, free)
  • gas to get to clients (~$2.60/ gal)
  • printing cost of contracts, client info, report cards, vet release ($5-10)
  • setting skype to send calls to my cell (or get another disposable cell) ($0.12/ minute or $30+)
  • possibly a business license- have to check. ($30?)
  • basic lock box (<$15 for cash box)
  • spare leashes/ collars/ haltis (<$30, borrowing leashes for now)
If I can get a couple clients, then once there's more money coming in than going out, can add-
  • insurance and memberships (starting at $150ish/yr)
  • printer/ paper/ ink so I can print my own paperwork
  • phone number just for business calls
  • business cards and flyers to leave at vet offices, groomers, community boards and just for handing out.
  • Basic web-site
  • Better lock box
  • binder, three hole punch, pencil bag for keeping organized during the day
If it starts doing well- to the point that I can make it into a "real job" then I can add-
  • accounting software
  • online scheduling and payment software/ service
  • better web-site
  • i don't know what else...
Obviously there's some pretty serious wear and tear on the car, and gas expense. I'd have to increase mileage on my car insurance too, which will make that go up... And I don't have the best car for advertising a business. I can do a little to make it look better, I'm just not sure how much can really be done to it though.

But there are deductions for business driving (I'll have to look into what's acceptable), and eventually I could save up for something better with better gas mileage.

I'd probably have to register a DBA, and get a separate bank account too... eventually. Wonder if the local FCU has cheap business accounts?

When you can't find a job that pays what you need, create one, right? I'd much rather walk dogs then clean houses. I'm better at it, too.

Has anyone out there done this? Is it a crazy idea? Is there anything I'm not thinking of?

1 comment:

  1. I'm doing the exact same thing you are. Not walking dogs :-), but making my own jobs. I watch kids (I'm already watching my Granddaughter anyway, P/T) and it covers the rent. I like the company too.

    My second *job* is creating jewelry to sell in my Etsy shop. I have been making jewelry for a long time and it's convenient to fit into any schedule. This is my passion.

    I also assist a photographer from time to time, as well as a house stager. Both pay well, just not very often. So still looking for that part time evening job for steady pay and to pay for everything else.

    I have free biz checking with my local credit union. I recommend going local. If you haven't heard of the Move Your Money project yet-check it out here. http://moveyourmoney.info/

    The best advice is what I do myself-keep all expenses as low as possible. Maybe you don't really need a separate phone line and memberships? I don't use an accounting software program. Just monthly envelopes,a calculator and a simple day-timer. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete