September 20, 2010

Goals for Sept 20-27

This is super late today, I know. My sister's car broke down (fixed now, finally) so I've been ferrying her about, and spent a good part of the day with my mom.

Last Week-

Last week I actually got some stuff done, which is kinda surprising to me, 'cause I spent most of the week getting used to shiny new medicine. Which is doing what it's supposed to--motivation crawled up from around a -2 last Monday to a current high of 3 (yay). I also now accept that I need caffeine to work. Without it I get *nothing* done, with it I at least do *something*.

Last week I managed (kinda) 3 goals. I came in short (very short) on all writing goals. I did, however, manage to:
  1. Drink water,
  2. Go to my appointments, and
  3. Do research on other blog/ site ideas.
I also played too much farmville (losing interest again, *finally*) and stared at the ceiling a lot.

This Week-

So it turns out that you aren't actually a writer unless you write. I've got the drinking water thing down now, meetings and whatnot are under control, and research without action (or pay) is really just play. So this week's goals are:
  1. Get blog posts up on time every day.
  2. Write 300 words each, every day, for textbroker, Constant Content (spec) articles, my travel website, and a fun fiction project.
  3. Work on HoboTraveller's 200 word list for Spanish, then expand it with other words I already know. Add 10 "new" words a day.
That's it. I *should* be able to manage all of those. 300 (1200) words a day is possible, even if it's pure crap. My Spanish listening is much better than my speaking, and my reading a bit better than that, so for now I'm trying to figure out where I am with all that and bring it together.

Oh, and one other "goal"- No TV until I hit my minimum word count for the day.

That look a bit more manageable? I think it does, anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I personally don't find the "add X words per period" as an attractive method to learn a language... especially not a day. 10 words is a LOT of words. Especially in a language you don't use (it's as hard just in English, if you think about it!) Perhaps move the "day" to "week"? And strive to make a sentence with one of those words every so often?

    I really recommend people to start thinking/talking in Spanglish when they get a chance. You know, something as silly as "I wish I had some vegan queso" or "no me gusta having to do the dishes." That will help you incorporate words in more ways than just vocab words you will soon forget because you aren't really using. Just a suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the avoid too many words thing. I lived in California and Arizona from about 8-20, so I actually *have* a lot of Spanish (not much grammar, though), I just haven't used it in a while. So it's not so much learning new words (which would be *crazy*- 10/ day is waaay too much for that), but more remembering what I already know and writing it down so I have some idea where I'm starting.

    So for today, say, I could do food- Pollo; chicken, arroz, rice; salsa, sauce and so on.

    The Spanglish thing, now that I'm gonna use.

    ReplyDelete