September 1, 2010

Crazy Flat-out Working Time, Again

You'd think I'd time my work-flow better. You'd think I'd fight off the demon writer's block faster. You'd think I'd try harder for (much) better paying Direct Orders.

But no. I put it off and put it off, and do one here, and two there, and then run around, headless-chicken style and totally broke the week before pay-outs. So that's what I'm doing today and most of tomorrow. Well, the part of tomorrow that isn't spent getting Dad from the airport and dropping him off at home. So flat-out working, followed by more super-speedy work, followed by my "challenge" article for the better paying site. Basically, I'm working most hours I'm awake between now and Labor Day.

It's going to be a long, exhausting week. Well, what's left of it.

Luckily, though, I *know* I can write 3 300 word articles in an hour. So I'm starting by challenging myself to write $10 worth of articles and turn them in each hour. Then, if I make that, I'll bump it up 50 cents or a dollar each hour until I either can't do it, or it just gets silly. I think, by the end of the day, I can be pushing out $15 an hour. I bet I can, even.

Now I just have to go do it. Drat this strange need I have for living inside!

One plus, though- I actually got something done on my local-type website. at this rate it should be up and running by the time I'm 50.

4 comments:

  1. I know - I am going be that annoying person who gives advice. Have you ever considered doing some sort of part-time temporary work... just to pay bills. Does that exist? My friend is trying to do that as a way to support herself, while she figures out what she wants to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not annoying! I tried for the first couple months I was here for just about anything and ended up with nothing. The stuff I have experience in that anyone will count, either isn't hiring or has no interest in me. It really just makes me more depressed when every time I turn in an app, it gets tossed. Temp agency work is a too much stress, I shut down.

    Which is funny, 'cause I'm pretty much shut down now. Worst part is, I only have to write a couple articles a day to cover the *absolute* must pay stuff- rent, food, car insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple articles a day ... is more than I think I could do. Typing the words out is not so hard. You also must come up with the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't even really have to do that- I've been picking connect-the-dots ones. Or I like when there are 12 or something with the same keyword, so I can do the research once, then just write about the keyword a dozen different ways.

    So if the keyword were whiskey, it'd be one on history, one on distilling, one on ingredients, one on aging, and so on. It's actually easier than telling characters what to do.

    ReplyDelete