June 21, 2010

Finding Cash

I've finally ended most of my associations with the huge retailer I no longer use. Called and sold my 1ish shares of stock and cashed out my 401k.

Wow, do they make that both easy and crazy hard. I tracked down what paperwork I have. I put more money into stock then they're showing, but no way to prove that, so... They charged me $20.10 to sell my 1+ shares. They're really all about keeping the investors. The guy tried to upsell me to faster check postage, but I wasn't going for that. My 50 had already shrunk to 35, I wasn't interested in shrinking it any farther.

Then I called and dumped the 401k. That was actually worth more than I thought. When the lady told me that I wasn't fully vested, that I'd have to spend a full 6 years there to be, I almost cackled over the phone at her. If I'd spent much more time at that place someone was going to end up dead. Probably me.

So they held back 15 for fees and 40 for estimated taxes, and she advised me that I should talk to someone about taxes, because it could get complicated... I said that's nice, and USPS for free is better than UPS for $20, now just sell the dratted thing.

So sometime around the end of the month I should be getting two checks for a total of about $230, no small pile of cash in my world right now.

Yay?

No comments:

Post a Comment