May 5, 2010

Super Single Girl Money Saver Number 3- The Library

I'm sure this one should be pretty obvious. Books are expensive, and you can't rent them.

I am a big time reader. Left to my own devices I'd read 16 hours a day- well, if I could find enough books that hold my interest all the way through. Even with limited time I burn through anywhere from 3 to 10 books a week in novels alone. Add in cookbooks, random research interests, travel guides, and the odd bit of serious literature and I save at least $200 a month by borrowing instead of buying.

The library offers other savings, though. Sure, books are great, but not everyone's a reader. My current library has movies, all the libraries around here do- mostly on DVD these days, but some tapes as well. There aren't a whole lot of new releases, so I'll need to use one of the movie vending machines if I *just can't wait*, but there's a pretty good selection.

Don't like movies, or your library doesn't have them? What about language tapes? Books on tape or CD to listen to while you drive cross country or commute to and from work? People who's whole job is to help you find information? You know, like when you want to know what you need to get a passport, or where to start on some project for work or school or fun. Already paid for.

What about office equipment? Building a business or just moved? Need a couple copies, or a print out of your resume? Hello library- usually only 5 or 10 cents a page for either one. Saves the cost of buying and feeding a printer or copier. Most libraries have free wifi, even and it's cheaper than Starbucks. My local library also has about a dozen computers with internet for patron use. Visitors can buy a one day pass, but members (after signing a release and agreement not to look up anything illegal) get to use them for free. So if this computer goes boom (please no, oh please oh please oh please), I'll still have internet access without having to drug my roommate and steal his computer to get it.

Different libraries offer different "extras", of course- one nearby does showings of the Met Opera (for free)- but they've just about all got books. And that alone is a huge savings for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment