May 24, 2010

The Idea of Nothing

I just had to turn down the chance to make $20. If my sister doesn't take it, I'm not sure what my dad's going to do, but it was an interesting conversation. It went something like this

Him: Want to make a quick 20 bucks running me around so I don't have to call a taxi?
Me: (silence)
H: Unless you have an interview, or something
M: No, just trying to figure out if I have enough gas to get over there.
H: Don't you have some cash lying around?
M: No...
H: What about your Credit Cards? You must have some money on one of them.
M: No, nothing available on my credit cards. I put a gallon in last week, and I'm trying to remember how far I've driven. I *might* have enough, but I don't want to get most of the way over there and run out.
H:No, that would be bad. You're sure you don't have any money? I guess I can call your sister and ask her then.

Gee, thanks. And to make it even better, about a minute after I get off the phone with him, I have my weekly chat with my buddies from Amex. They want to know if I can pay them my whole past due amount, since I've been with them ten or more eyars now with payments "like clockwork" and all. They'll even offer me this great hardship rate (which they may or may not be required to do by law), but I have to come up with a couple hundred dollars. Is there anyone I can borrow it from?

Um, hello? If I had anyone willing to lend me a couple hundred dollars I'd finish paying May's rent, put gas in my tank, and get $5 worth of fresh veggies. We still had the chat for a couple or 20 minutes. Fun fun.

Wonder what Visa thinks? I should probably take a call from them. You know, before they firebomb my rat trap car.

I really hope the G. money comes in soon. I'll use $20 for gas, soda, and veggies, instead of saving it for some un-named other online expense.

I still don't think my father quite understands what I mean when I say I have no money at all, though. I suspect he thinks i'm ducking driving him around. which is funny, because if I had enough gas to get the 26 or so miles to his place, I'd be on my way there, rather than writing this post.

Fork.

Oh, and speaking of this post, sorry it's late- I over slept, then had some drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment