April 30, 2010

Building Something from Nothing- part 2

So how did I earn the first batch of money? Well, luck.

I started a blog (not this one), and wrote on it regularly, and no one read it. I read other blogs, ones that interested me. On one of them I added a comment and instead of leaving the "website" field blank like shy, unconfident, self-conscious me would normally do, I put the addy of my blog. The (very nice) lady who runs that blog added something in her next post about what I was doing, someone with *lots* of readers saw it, and I had crazy time for a couple days.

So really, I posted one comment with my blog's web address. Oh, and I put adsense on everything.

Luck, really. Well, and crazy ideas.

I'm a great believer in the whole "cheap, good, quick- pick two" deal. In a blog, though, it has to be interesting too, or no one is going to even look at it. This is where I like crazy ideas. Or maybe I like crazy ideas because I have a lot of them. I'm sure informative and interesting works great too, I just don't have that kinda attention span.

So I use crazy ideas. Sometimes they're other people's crazy ideas made crazier ($1/ day for food), sometimes they're other people's normal ideas made crazy (vet school on the other side of the world, with no concentration, no money, and no experience living outside the US). You might not need crazy ideas to get things to work, but normal doesn't keep me interested right now.

Luck, crazy ideas, and no way to lose.

At this point, anything I make or build online is like gambling with found money- it doesn't cost me anything but time. Eventually I'd like to be able to depend on income from this internet thing, but for now I'm really just playing. I think that's the biggest bonus to starting this way. Well, and I can afford it.

Luck, crazy ideas, no way to lose, and funny hats- yep, that's how I'll make my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment