April 14, 2010

Broke

I am broke. Not broken, not really. Just broke. Playing with numbers, I've no idea how I'm going to make my bills this month. Great. No idea when I'm going to get a job. No idea what I'll be making, or how short it will leave me.

In interesting news, my father offered to "invest" in an online venture with me- one where I do all the work and he provides the (seriously minimal) startup funds. And all he wants in exchange? 40% of gross.

Now, 40% of nothing isn't much. But this is a *good* subject, with enough interest that with even sad traffic he'd make back his "investment" in a year to a year and a half.

I don't know. I wouldn't want to do business with anyone without some kind of binding contract, written with real live paper, signed with ink (blood's icky). Business with family has a lot more opportunities to go bad. From his POV, of course, it's great- less than 3 hours income in exchange for either 40% before expenses, or the opportunity to say "I told you so". Win all around.

For me, not so much. I could come up with the money myself, and wait to put up a better designed site later. I could sell plasma until I had enough to do the site right from the start. I could (and need to, actually) subcontract through the 3 hotels in town that allow pets to do dogwalking, and have the money in a week or so. Then I do all the work, get to keep all the money, and avoid potential icky family drama.

I just don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment