November 2, 2006

I do not understand american express

Ok, so... Earlier this year- like when I was in, oh... egypt... Amex decided, for no reason I could ever figure out, to drop my credit limit *below* what I'd already charged. No, I don't know why. Something, they swear, about my credit report- which, with the exception of adding student loans, hasn't changed in more than a year. And it didn't have student loans on it at the time.

So today I went on, to check my limit, getting ready, figuring out what I have to work with while finessing my non-existant travel budget, and they, the wierdos at amex, have raised my limit once again.

No, I don't know why. No, I don't think I could ever, ever, ever spend that much. Except maybe if I could charge tuition, then get the cash back in my account to clear the charge before they started charging me interest on it. But I don't think the school takes Amex, so I don't have to worry about the lure of huge points. Yet.

But still- what about 22,500 in new student debt makes me seem like the kind of person they want to give a limit you could buy a decent car with? Other than the way that I keep paying extra. Which reminds me, I need to call them and see if they'll lower my interest rate. You should try it every once in a while. Worst they can do is say no- and best is lower it a couple points. Or a bunch. But I wouldn't hold out for that one.

j.

No comments:

Post a Comment