May 14, 2006

movie ramblings

obligitory school related statements- I should be studying, It's sunday night, almost monday morning, and I should be studying. I've put myself on a budget for the rest of the month. I have 13 crazy-type spend how ever I want dollars left. I should need to spend no more on food. I have enough for a family of 6 for 2 weeks.

Ok, now onto what I want to blather on about.

You know how when you're a kid, you watch movies, and if you're really lucky, your family gets you hooked on good ones? Well, I bought a couple movies on friday. I think it was friday, anyway. One of them was My Fair Lady. Which has, for reasons unknown, been high on my best loved list since I was a little girl. I think it's the whole fairy tale thing to it. I mean, the poor girl, picked up by the rich, handsome, inteligent man, made all perfect, and brought to the ball. I mean, Professor Higgens is like prince charming and the fairy godmother all rolled into one.

Damn, but I love pygmalion.

And you know, when you don't see one of your favorites for a while, how you notice things you never did before? I mean, I always saw the bad lip synching, kinda expected. You can't look like you're belting out some song unless you really are. That I accept. And I'm still drop down, panting on the floor in love with the dresses (can I have the ball gown? I know I'm not that thin, but... wow...), but I mean, I'm noticing all this stuff I never noticed before. And I don't know if I'm looking at the story deeper, or what the heck is wrong with me. I always used to love being the kid that just kinda watched the movie, you know, pure entertainment. If I'm looking deeper at this one, what'll happen when I hunt down my other favorites and watch them again?

I mean, I really don't want to be put off of gigi just because the romantic-type female character is all of 14. Which is rather gross, I know, but I try not to think about it. I just love the story, ya know? Which is kinda strange, when I think about it, because if I had a little time machine, and I could go back to then or before, you bet your ass I'd rather be a mistress than a wife. Wife had to do all the crap jobs, and got none of the fun. I hear it's boring on a pedestal.

Or the King and I. It kills me enough watching it anyway. I mean, I realise it's a doomed love from the first, but still, does he have to die? I mean, seriously, people, why did they have to kill yul brenner off? He was hot! wow, a bit off topic there.

Seriously, tho. I really don't want to start thinking about characters deeper thoughts, and lives, and motivations, and how this or that movement just looks perfect for it, or how this or that would have made it better, or what the deeper meaning of this or that line was, or how it'd change if the inflection changed, or where the hell the light's coming from. I just want to enjoy my movies, ya know? It's like with books. You start tearing them appart, and I just lose the entertainment value of them. I don't know why. Wish it didn't happen. It's actually why I don't usually read poetry. I love the imagery, but I just want that, the top bit. I don't want to tear it appart. I have this nightmare that someday I'll make or write, or something something, and people will start disecting it, like "what she meant here was to comment on the meaningfullness of life" when it's a picture of my lunch, or a bit about the rain, or something stupid like that.

I'm convinced that all the poets and artists and writers and actors and whatnot who have their work torn apart are spinning in their graves, or else really hate reading reviews.

Hmm.. that wandered a bit.

So yeah, I love My Fair Lady. Enough to switch over my DVD drive to watch it. Wow, it must be love. GiGi next week. Breakfast at tiffany's if I can find it. Then on to the King and I. Hey, a girl needs a good cry every once in a while, right? Maybe that'll work. If not, I'm sure they've got last of the mohicans and legends of the fall here somewhere.

j.

1 comment:

  1. Red Violin! Red Violin!
    and uh..
    something with Cary Grant,
    Ooo! Arsenic and Old Lace!
    (ah the times when people sounded literate!)

    ReplyDelete