July 4, 2006

Predictions of sudden painful death

Ok, so normally when those religious types (you know, the ones that tell you you're a bad person?) talk about that end of the world crap (in a next wednesday at 10 kinda way), I totally ignore them. Well, ok, so I laugh at them first. A lot. Loudly. Where they can hear me.

But then I ignore them.

Unfortunatly, in the course of human events, etc and so on, things change.

The end of the world is coming. No, seriously. I got proof! It's all baseball standings, but that's proof (no, really). The tigers (you know, detroit? you don't know? oh- well... yeah...) waaaaay out in front. The mets (you know, that *other* team in NY- the one that enjoyed killing the '86 hopes of the red socks? yeah, that one.) - dude, winning.

This is bad. It might not be this year, it might be next year- after all, the cubs and pirates are still in good customary low spots. And I bet their fans are properly appreciative, too.

But damnit people! I like cheering for losing teams! Anyone can cheer for winners! I mean, hell, look at how many people cheer for the yankees! and they aren't even hot anymore! (sorry, girly moment- won't happen again, I don't think)

But when you go messing with my accepted way life works, I really don't like it.

Ok, I lie. I don't mind if the Mets win. Hell, I love the Mets, and not even in a girly, "wow, that guy looks really really good" kinda way- more in a wow, i've like, totally loved this team since I was a lame little kid kinda way. I *really* don't care if the Tigers win. Actually, I don't much care about the tigers at all- mostly as a joke. But I swear, if the Mets go to the damned series this year, while I'm trapped on the ass end of the earth, I'm going to be really pissed off. Really really pissed off. Because somehow I don't think "but I have to go to NY to scam tickets for the world series" is a good enough excuse to get them to sign off missing labs and agree to larger loans. They just don't seem like that kinda people. And I'm not even getting into the freaking vet program this year! (note, if I were representing NZ in some sporting event, I could have just about all the time off I wanted/ needed)

So yeah- Mets, no series untill I can go. And no building lame ass pretty new ball park. I don't care what it has, or what it looks like. It's bad enough that the 4th oldest park still in use is shea. I mean, hell, people- After wrigley and fenway, and yankee (probably out of order and no doubt misspelled) comes shea- built in the freaking 1960's people.

Ok, fine, so it's ugly. So it's in the way. So it's oldfashioned, and surrounded by roads that make that loop around london look like a kids game. That doesn't mean you can knock it down before I get to go.

Opps. I mean,... it's an important part of baseball history, damnit!

Wow, I've wandered a bit. I think maybe I should stop now.

But yeah- Mets and Tigers way out in front = bad. Very, very bad.

j.

Oh, and if-- since there are 20 guys in the dorms over break, and 3 chicks (including me)-- we have to watch sports *all day long* every single damned day, could they at least have more hot guys in the sports I gotta watch? Scary guys playing rugby is boring. Fat guys playing golf is just wrong. Ugly guys playing soccer is unfortunate. Ladies tennis is just cruel. Come on, people. I know there are hot guys at Wimbledon. There have to be hot guys in the other sports too! If it's all I get to watch, please, can't it at least be visually interesting in something other than an "OMG, I'm never eating again" kinda way? Please?

1 comment:

  1. Boo! Tigers Rule!
    (Never been to a game in my life, remember the old stadium though!)
    The extent of my sports spectator prowess.

    It's the circle of baseball fandom, every 20 yrs. someone you didn't think would win, wins.. and everyone that was traditionally good, stinks.

    Sorta like how I don't care about FIFA.. Italy & France are going to the finals! Now (class) does anyone remember why the Italian mafia was founded?

    Yzerman's retiring! weird.

    ReplyDelete