November 22, 2010

Work and Work

I do two kinds of work. One *can* pay crap, and is part of a kinda floaty long term plan. The other *only* pays crap and is over in January.

Yesterday I was supposed to do the first type. I had it all planned out- after 8 or so hours of goofing off and relaxing, I was going to do this work that'll pay off later.

Then I made the mistake of answering the phone.

I guess it's been too long since I worked in a "real" outside the house job. This time last year I knew better than to answer the phone on my "day off". Yesterday, though? Ha.

So I went to the place where I'm working temporarily and stayed there from 4 until 11. That whole time I stood at a register, then tidied the store. While my check will be kinda nicer, it means I didn't get to do any of the things I needed/ planned to yesterday. Things like:

  • write articles for up-front pay
  • write articles for my own sites
  • write articles for places that do revenue share like HubPages
  • Do laundry
  • get my food made up for this week
  • relax
  • catch up on NaNoWriMo
  • get some work done on my blog that *really really* needs to be done
  • buy groceries
Instead all I did was earn $42, give or take $3. I'd have been much better off, crazy as it sounds, staying home. Now I have to find some way to fit all that stuff that I didn't do yesterday into a schedule that's already taking over my life. Oh, and I need to cancel an appointment, because "work" can't/ won't reschedule me around it. Even though they knew about it *at the interview.*

Soooo not interested in this work thing. really, Not. Oh, yeah, and being around all those strange people and little screaming kids, I'm getting a cold. Extra Pleh.

3 comments:

  1. *pats* Sounds like you're having quite a fun time with this job. Don't look at it with such a frown, though. Yes, it's hard, and definitely not something you'd prefer doing. But it is temporary and can help you create enough ground for you to stand on later on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm trying with the whole "think about it as a good thing" deal. Actually, I seem to be well into "the worst they can do is fire me" land.

    I think my real problem with yesterday is that I *should* have said no. Once I answered the phone, tho? Meh... So I guess laundry now, then. Or dirty clothes until Thursday. I think laundry might be the better option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know about the phone deal. I've held multiple jobs at once several times, and it is hard to say no if they call you and get you on the line... I've only said no firmly once (working on New Year's Eve? Sorry, but not even for my lovely managers at job #2), but yeah. Save their numbers to your phone and put a do-not answer sticker or something.

    ReplyDelete