October 18, 2010

Writing

This is kinda embarrassing, so I'm just gonna type it.

I wrote and turned in my first (cheap) article in about a month last night.

Which is crazy. I've accepted dozens, but when I actually have to write them, I freak out and stop. I just stop.

I won't say I "can't" do it, because I obviously have before. I just go totally blank, clueless, and the words dry up. I can think them. I can write most of the thing out in my head. Getting it into the computer, though?

Ha.

But I did one, and it made the second a bit easier. Now hopefully I can write more today without having to fight over it with myself.

I still think Santa should bring me a non-dysfunctional brain for winter holiday. Or, you know, a big pile of money.

Or both.

Ok, going to try another (short, easy, crappy) article. 'Cause, you know, I'm kinda fond of this whole living inside, eating thing. And eventually Dad's going to stop loaning me rent and food money.

2 comments:

  1. I was actually thinking about you and your writer's block-like problem where you can't write a whole lot when you set out to.

    How about you try recording your thoughts in something like a voice recorder or cell phone or even in your computer while you do other things? You know, just musing. If you’re comfortable talking to yourself (I know, odd thing to say, but not all people are too fond to talk to themselves), then the night before you are supposed to get the article in, read the topic and subject, do your research, and step away from MS Word. Turn on your recorder and muse about the topic. You would be surprised how much easier it becomes, and how much more stuff you can get done. I am not sure what the topics are like, but that ‘trick’ has always worked for me and gets more stuff done than if I am just sitting in front of Word trying to think of the frame of something I’m supposed to be writing about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for some reason it's just factual stuff. I used to have the same problem with writing essays in lit classes until I figured out how to organise them ahead of time.

    Sometimes I *do* talk to myself, using the speech recognition software that came with win7, and it helps to a degree. I think the real problem is that I'm actually a plotter (no matter how much I want to write by the seat of my pants) and for a penny a word it's just not worth it to spend 10 minutes fleshing out an outline.

    Tho I may try it for something I could sell for more... hmm...

    ReplyDelete