March 7, 2011

Update Time, I Guess

Anyone reading over in food-land will know this already, but I've run away to Mexico. My entire life (give or take) my father's been telling me that running away doesn't fix anything, but I'm pretty sure he's wrong.

It doesn't fix student loans, that I already know. You have to print out a piece of paper that tells them how pathetic you are, or call up your guarantor and tell *them* how pathetic you are, then get your forbearance extended. Which I need to do again, actually. And credit card bills also don't go away, but those are already pretty much totally forked.

Other problems, though? Almost totally gone. I can work. I've got ideas for *articles* coming out my ears, and a story slowly fermenting in the back of my mind. By the end of the month I should be covering my living expenses without dipping into my (from tax return) remaining "savings."

Of course, for however long I stay where I am now my expenses are something like $250/month housing, $40/month food, $10 a month getting money out of the ATM, and up to another $100 spent on who-knows what. 'course it's about $13 each way to get off the island and into a "real" city, but I don't want to go just yet.

So for now I'll work, build up some cash, learn enough Spanish to have actual conversations, and loaf on the beach. And maybe in a month or so I'll be ready to move on to a "real" town, with money in the bank, and a vocabulary of more than 200 words.

Or not. I might just stay here until they kick me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment