April 24, 2006

Knife worship

I have a special place in my greedy little heart for good, solid, sharp kitchen knives. Really sharp. Well tended.

A good knife is a beautiful thing, and should be treated like what it is- a really useful, important tool.

Wow, I sound like a freaky chef, or something. Not odd, since I considered that for a while, before packing up my life and running away to New Zealand to fail miserably at school.

So I got here, right? After two years spent with a beautiful knife with good balance, a great ability to hold an edge, a thick enough blade that I didn't have to worry about it wandering off, and a lovely strong wooden handle.

The housing people provide 5 cooking knives. They are all serated. Serated knives are the spawn of evil deamon beings- like republicans, or single people who live in cities and commute 45 minutes a day in SUV's.

So I bought a chef knife. A cheap one, I admit. A really cheap one. The blade wobbles a bit when you try to cut through harder things- like onions or potatos. But it was sharp, and had a decent edge, and would do, ya know?

Then the roommates began cooking. They lack all knife skillz. They are not l33t. I forgot I was cooking dried beans and they burned. They tried to cook pasta, couldn't, and have given up on pasta forever.

This would be fine, of course, if they weren't using my knife. I wouldn't mind, if they knew how to use a knife. They don't. They bought 4 plastic cutting boards, one for each type of thing you cook- color coded and everything. They even change between them, depending on what they're cooking. But they don't wash the knife off. They toss my sweet little knife in the drying rack along with everything else, rather than washing it, drying it right away, and putting it back where it belongs. It has develpoed a sad sort of lack of sharpness, and an even more disturbing selection of dings. And they've used my knife- the vegetarians knife- to cut meat. ARGH! deamon spawn roommates.

Heck, the least they could do is learn to use it right.

Hate hate hate people who have no knife skills at all. It's not that tough. just takes some practice. Just... not with *my* knife, ok???

ugh. Roommates.

j.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, what have I told you about your personal things? Keep it clean and in your room!!! They are going to use your stuff as long as it is in the public area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? I thought she said pubic area?! You can't ban me for an honest mistake tsunami j.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the heck did R. post J? Was it completely naughty and wrong???
    You have to tell me about it later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was, and she prolly did!
    heh heh!
    Ouran High School Host club's getting good! Now, the twins are falling for the cross-dresser!

    ReplyDelete